Phuket is a wildly popular destination in Thailand for tourists from across the world. The small town has grown into a Southeast Asian paradise for party-lovers and adventure aficionados alike. Phuket is well known for its stunning beaches, crystal blue waters, and vibrant nightlife. But did you know that Phuket is also a great place for surfing? If you love ocean adventures, you’d do well to remember that Phuket is the best surf spot in Thailand. The waves are usually 1 meter in height but can reach up to 3 meters and above. Here’s everything you need to know in order to plan that kick-ass beachside vacation you’ve been dreaming of.
Where are the best waves in Phuket, dude?
- Kata Beach – Kata Beach is a popular spot for surfing in Phuket. The waves here are perfect for beginners and intermediate surfers. The beach is also known for its stunning sunsets and lively nightlife. Patong beach and Kamala beach are also suitable for beginner surfers.
- Nai Harn Beach – Nai Harn Beach is a quieter spot for surfing, perfect for those who like to avoid the tourist crowd. It’s also a relatively smaller beach, and attracts a more backpacker, hippie crowd. The waves here are larger than at Kata Beach, making it a great spot for more experienced surfers.
- Kamala Beach – Kamala Beach is a long stretch of sand that offers some great waves for surfing. The beach is less crowded than some of the more popular spots, making it a great option for those who want to avoid the crowds.
Surfing noob? Become a pro right here in Phuket.
If you’re a beginner or just looking to improve your skills, we recommend KOHO Surf School. The school is located in Kata Beach, which is one of the best spots for surfing in Phuket. The instructors at KOHO Surf School are experienced and certified by the International Surfing Association (ISA). They offer personalized instruction in Thai and English and will help you improve your surfing skills in no time. KOHO also hosts classes for children, making it a great opportunity for some fun family bonding.
Another great surf school in Phuket that provides lessons in Talay Surf School. They also have Stand-Up Paddleboarding and take SUP yoga classes too!
Stoked for ocean fun? Here are some underwater activities to keep you going.
Phuket is not just a great spot for surfing – there are plenty of other ocean activities to try as well. Here are some of our recommendations:
- Snorkeling – Phuket is home to some of the most beautiful coral reefs and marine life in the world. Snorkeling is a great way to explore the underwater world and see some amazing creatures up close.
- Scuba Diving – For those who want to explore even further, scuba diving is a must-do activity in Phuket. There are plenty of dive shops and instructors in the area, and you can explore everything from colorful coral reefs to underwater caves.
- Jet Skiing – For those who want a more adrenaline-fueled activity, jet skiing is a great option. You can rent a jet ski and explore the coastline at high speeds, taking in the stunning views of the Andaman Sea.
- Stand-Up Paddleboarding – A fun and (comparatively) easy activity for people who want to chill out for a few hours in the ocean.
In conclusion, surfing in Phuket is a thrilling adventure that should not be missed. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced surfer, there are plenty of options for everyone. We recommend KOHO Surf School for those who want to learn or improve their skills, and the top three beaches to surf in Phuket are Kata Beach, Nai Harn Beach, and Kamala Beach. In addition to surfing, there are plenty of other ocean activities to try in Phuket, such as snorkeling, scuba diving, and jet skiing. Whatever you choose to do, we guarantee that you will have an amazing time exploring the beautiful Andaman Sea.
Looking for a the best hotels and hostels to hang your board and chill?
If you’re planning a trip to Phuket to learn how to surf, you’ll want to stay at a hotel or hostel that offers easy access to surfing lessons. Here are our top recommendations:
- Bodega Hostel – Bodega Hostels is a popular chain of hostels in Southeast Asia, known for their lively social atmosphere and affordable prices. They have a location in Phuket that’s just a short walk from Kata Beach, making it a great option for surfers. The hostel offers surfing lessons and equipment rentals, as well as a swimming pool.
- Lub D Hostel – Lub D Hostel in Patong, Phuket is a stylish and modern budget accommodation option in the heart of Patong. The hostel features a variety of private and shared rooms, all designed with comfort and convenience in mind.
- Radisson Hotel – Looking for something private and plush? The Radisson Hotel is a luxurious option for those who want to combine surfing with a relaxing getaway. The hotel is located in the heart of Phuket, just a short drive from some of the best surfing spots in the area. They offer surfing lessons and equipment rentals, as well as a range of other amenities such as a swimming pool, spa, and fitness center.